Learn Italian with the News
A stepping stone to real-world language
Watching the news in Italian is a great way to improve your listening skills and widen your vocabulary: news broadcasts offer a variety of words and expressions that are seldom encountered in textbooks, and at the same time they provide a valuable insight into Italy’s culture, politics, and everyday life.
Now, that’s all well and good, but the truth is, you won’t be able to understand much of it unless you already have a good grasp of the language: the speed of the news is usually too fast for a beginner or intermediate learner, and the vocabulary will be formal and quite different from the everyday language that you have learned so far.
That’s how we designed our Learn Italian with the News videos: keeping in mind the needs of beginner and intermediate learners, we offer a selection of news in SLOW ITALIAN, much easier to understand, and we explain key words and recurrent expressions to help you develop your vocabulary.
Each video includes English captions and the on-screen transcription of all Italian audio, plus accompanying notes, questions & video transcript.
If you find our videos useful, please SUBSCRIBE to our channel - it's all free! And don't hesitate to leave comments under our videos on YouTube. Thank you!
What you get
With these Listen & Respond videos, you will be able to:
- Listen to stories based on the latest news from reputable sources
- Understand more easily what's going on in Italy at any given time
- Hear and learn words & phrases that are commonly used in this kind of communication
- Practice your comprehension skills by answering questions on the stories that you just heard
Watch the videos
- Episode 9 - 23 Sep 2020 - Venice Film Festival; Viva Dante 2021; current art exhibitions
- Episode 8 - 19 Aug 2020 - Overtourism & undertourism; underrated Italian destinations
- Episode 7 - 22 Jul 2020 - Verona opera festival; Serie A football restart
- Episode 6 - 17 Jun 2020 - Venice before, during & after lockdown
- Episode 5 - 20 May 2020 - Italy reopens: post-lockdown measures
- Episode 4 - 2 Apr 2020 - Report from COVID-19 lockdown
- Episode 3 - 3 Mar 2020 - The spread of COVID-19 in Italy
- Episode 2 - 19 Feb 2020 - COVID-19 update; the new Ferrari SF1000; the Oscars
- Episode 1 - 28 Jan 2020 - Seasonal flu; Federico Fellini; High flood in Venice
Each of the videos listed on the left is embedded in an individual page where you can also find a PDF with the video transcript. Starting from episode 7, you can donwload PDFs with exercises, questions, and answers, while for videos 1 to 6 questions & answer key are included at the end of each video.
We publish a new Learn Italian with the News video every 4-5 weeks. Even if the stories presented in older videos are no longer current, you will still be able to learn useful words & expressions that will allow you to understand better the latest news and a variety of different topics, from politics to sports, so make sure to watch them all!