Italian: All the Basics
How to start learning Italian
There are many good reasons to learn a new language, ranging from a specific interest or work purposes to an unexplainable fascination towards the sounds of your target language. Whatever your reasons might be, you certainly know that there’s plenty of free resources out there, from YouTube channels to eBooks, to podcasts. So, why should you add My Italian Circle to your language learning tools? We believe that the key to really "get” how a new language works is a combination of high-frequency vocabulary, basic sounds, and basic grammar structures, explained in English so you can understand straightaway. Thanks to this solid foundation, you will soon be able to move on to intermediate videos in slow Italian with a listen and respond section, to boost your comprehension and speaking skills.
All our content is created by a experienced native teacher whose goal is to help you get it right from the very beginning and see through the sketchy Italian that you may come across over the Internet.
How to get the most out of this course
- Set your Italian learning goals and a learning schedule. Making a commitment and sticking to it will help you to retain what you have learned, and will allow you to consolidate what you have achieved. If you have, as we all do, a busy life, just try and fit at least 10 minutes in your daily routine. TIP: make it fun! Get a nice notebook, coloured pens and pencils, a pocket journal where you write new vocabulary, anything to give additional inspiration to your Italian learning!
- Study each lesson thoroughly: don’t rush into the next lesson, watch the videos multiple times, and review new words or grammar topics before moving on. Feel free to go back to previous lessons: watch, learn, consolidate.
- Love the sound of your voice: repeat out loud sounds, words, and sentences. This will improve your pronunciation, and your mouth will get used to those sounds and words; you will feel more confident when speaking in real life, and it will be easier to remember what you have learned.
If you find this course useful, the easiest way to let us know is to SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel - it's absolutely free and it will help us grow! You can also leave comments under our videos on YouTube. Thank you!
What you get
In this free beginner course, you will learn:
- Basic grammar structures, to help you understand how Italian works and to start forming your own sentences
- Basic ready-to-use Italian sentences related to everyday situations
- How to pronounce Italian correctly. A correct pronunciation will also improve your comprehension
Each lesson includes a video with explanations in English and on-screen transcription of all Italian words & phrases, plus accompanying notes & exercises.
Grammar - Grammatica
Let’s say it clearly: the ultimate goal of any language learner is to communicate, and sometimes grammar is seen more as an obstacle than as a key to mastering a foreign language. That’s why our grammar course is designed to be accessible to all kinds of learners, including those who are not used to studying grammar.
In these videos, the structures and characteristics of the Italian language are explained through a communicative approach where grammar is placed in a context. Images and sentences will help to retain those "boring parts” that have to be memorised, and grammar terminology is explained briefly whenever necessary, allowing you to follow the lesson without getting a headache!
Regardless of your level, make sure to download our Italian Grammar Basics to use as a reference guide.
Most of the topics in this concise presentation are explained in more detail in the videos listed on the right.
Phrases & Vocabulary - Vocabolario
When you are learning a new language at a beginner level it can be difficult to start a conversation, or to find the right words to communicate quickly what you need. Words and phrases are like the building blocks that you need to build a solid wall, and the wall is your communication in the target language. Once you have started using short phrases, you will quickly move to having simple conversations more easily than you think.
In this section you will find useful vocabulary and phrases to help you communicate in various situations, from train travel to a romantic dinner!
Pronunciation - Pronuncia
If you are reading these pages, maybe something inside you just clicked, and made you fall in love with this beautiful language. Maybe you’re studying Italian for work or business purposes, or you want to connect to your Italian roots, or maybe the love of your life is Italian. Whatever your reasons may be, we are pretty sure that you love the sound of our language! Some say that it's like music, and indeed Italian has a unique melody; others associate the language with travel and cultural experiences; some say that words ending with a vowel are simply more pleasant to the ear.
Good pronunciation will make your Italian more clear to native speakers, and will also improve your listening skills. Italian is very consistent: the pronunciation of letters never changes, so once you have learned them all, you will always know how to pronounce a new word correctly - you just need to keep in mind a handful of spelling rules.
You can watch these videos in the order you like - start from the Complete Alphabet, if you prefer.